Wednesday 21 September 2011

Battle of the top coats.

There are so many "raved about" top coats in the market, and I've tried most, having spent hours of reading reviews on makeupalley... still I thought it would be helpful to share my opinion and experiences in using them.

Let the showdown begin! xD


Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat:

Pros:

-Accelerated drying time

-Made my nails super shiny indeed

Cons:

-Extended Wear? Don't think so... my nails started chipping, way faster than usual (after the first day), even used over long-lasting, high-end, nail polishes. Often my nail polish would just "flip off" along with the top coat! :O

-If not used with care, you'll end up with a transparent film around your cuticles.

Final Thoughts: Only recommended if you're in a hurry, definitely not worth the hype for me.


5/10


EZFLOW Fast Finish top coat:


Pros:

- Practically none for me, although it comes in efficient packaging, loved the brush.

- Price; very affordable.

Cons:

- Bubbles... bubbles.... bubbles.... This top coat practically ruined my nail polish on first application, having painstakingly applying my manicure I ended up with mini bubbles all over my nails. Tried it multiple times, under different conditions, environments, I even tried to put it in the fridge, as it supposedly helps keep bubbles to a minimum... didn't work either.

Final thoughts: Definitely not recommended. I may have ended up buying a bad batch but this experience has really put me off giving it another chance.

If anyone else had luck in using this top coat, I'd love to hear your views.

2/10


China Glaze Fast Forward Top Coat:



Pros:

- Dries faster than any other top coat I've tried

- Amazing thin consistency, doesn't look like an "invisible film" over your nail polish

- Easy to use brush

Cons:

- Chips fast, can't say I didn't expect that though.

Final Thoughts: If you change your nail color often, then this top coat is for you. Thanks to its fast-drying, thin formula it works perfectly worn over opaque creamy colors... No good for applying over glitter though, as it does nothing in smoothing rough surfaces.

7/10


Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat:

Pros:


- Fast drying time

- Extreme gloss (best if you like a glossy finish really)

- Long lasting

Cons:

- Thick formula that tends to get goopy once you reach the middle of your bottle, sometimes sooner, which means that if you like this top coat, be prepared to have a backup handy. Frustrating and non-economical in this aspect.

- Intense chemical smell; can't handle this top coat without adequate ventillation!!

- Once the formula thickens, through repeated use, you'll find it often "drags" your nail polish from the edges. My guess is that it probably shrinks the formula of colored nail polish, at least seems so...

- Tends to darken nail polish if you've had it on for many days.

Final thoughts: I recommend this for use over glitter polishes, thanks to its thick formula, it works best in smoothing rough textures. Not the best I tried, but it does the work better than other overhyped top coats. I purchased many bottles, and I wouldn't mind repurchasing it.

7/10


Poshe Super-Fast Drying Top Coat:

Pros:

- Amazing formula (not too thin, yet not too thick), makes application easy. Like an improved version of the Seche Vite top coat.

- Dries fast, can be applied over wet and dry nail polish.

- Bearable smell.

- Lasts longer than any other top coat I've tried... to the extent that I change my polish when I actually get bored of it and not because I have to.

-Transforms the look and texture of low-end nail polishes, even the ones that bubble up.

Cons:

- Darkens nail polish color/vibrancy, after a few days. Not a major issue for me, since chipping is my prime concern.

- Price; most expensive top coat I've purchased, but totally worth it.

Final thoughts: This is my go-to and favorite top coat, which is why I saved it for the end. I would recommend this to anyone, if you don't mind the color darkening effect, but then again, I have yet to find a fast drying top coat that lasts and doesn't alter my nail polish color after a few days.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...